It’s always annoyed me that I couldn’t copy objects from one instance of max and paste them into another – as I work with 2 or 3 instances of max up at a time. It’s tedious to do a save selected / merge objects so this script does it for you. It’s not a TRUE copy/paste via the windows clipboard – but it will let you very quickly copy objects from one file to another.
09-02-03 Update: just updated contact info in script header and changed version requirement to reflect current versions of 3ds max…
Select the objects you want to copy. Run ‘copy script’ (I assign mine to Ctrl+Shift+C). Now run the ‘paste script’ (I assign mine to Ctrl+Shift+V) into either the same file or you can load another instance of max and ‘paste’ the objects into it.
1. Click Maxscript / Run Script and choose wherever you downloaded this file to
1a. It will seem like nothing happened but that’s exactly what it should do – you now need to assign a shortcut to it
2. Click Customize / Customize User Interface / Keyboard (tab)
3. Change the Category to ‘CG_Tools’
4. Click ‘Copy Objects to File’ and change its Hotkey to something – maybe Ctrl+Shift+C .Click Assign
5. Click ‘Paste Objects from File’ and change its Hotkey to something – maybe Ctrl+Shift+V. Click Assign
6. Click Save and save your custom UI settings to a file – do yourself a favor and don’t use the default.
7. That’s it.
3ds max 6-2009